Monday, December 12, 2011

Off Horseback and into Skis

Wow, what a day.  Saturday, with some good friends from the Flathead Valley, skiing Autumn Creek.  Many of you may have seen warm weather photo shots of the Autumn Creek Country posted on our website or facebook.  I think Autumn Creek has some Alaska type tundra country with the steep, hard rock mountains of the Summit Range towering over that area as you ski it, hike it, or ride it horseback.  My history in Autumn Creek has been long and always a marvel, an adventure.  Autumn Creek drops off the Continental Divide at Marias Pass and gradually meanders west from Three Bears Lake and towards the ranch, just eight miles from our back yard.  Pretty handy, huh?  I've skied Autumn Creek on a few occasions each winter for many years and I've never tired of it.  This past Saturday was no exception.  Hell, it's mid December and there could be well below zero temps but it sure wasn't this past weekend.  I think we were skiing in thirty to forty degree weather with a hit of chinook warmth and a bright blue sky.  It was windy up on top but just plumb fine as we skied in well over a foot of hard snow with an inch of powder over that.  My type of conditions.  Couldn't have been better.  I'm on Kahru 190's with medal edges, a fine gift from even better neighbors.  To be honest, I'm not a handy enough skier to know a real difference between good and real good skis but these worked well.   I don't get fancy.  I'm wearing Wranglers and long underwear.  Good enough on a mild day and my partners are carrying day packs with all the food and accessories I need.  Mikes' a doc in case of emergencies and Carlene's got plenty of good in case we get hungry.  No worries, Mate!

Well, if you know Autumn Creek you also know that for a couple miles you travel in a lodgepole pine forest with small meadows and springs here and there.  I know for a fact we're travelling in big elk country.  But it's winter and the elk are gone for the season.  Where to?  I've never figured that out.  But most of the Autumn Creek country is normally waist deep in snow by this time of winter and I've always recognized a migration occurring there although I don't know to where or when.  Bighorn sheep are usually visible up higher in the rocks and on the patches of grass above us and although I'm looking I don't see any evidence of elk or sheep.  However, I've heard from a couple ski buds of mine that there are sheep on Elk Mountain at the present time and there are wolves as well "minding the store" and since Elk is on the western edge of the Summit Range the sheep aren't far off.  Frankly, I'm really wanting to get a look at the sheep or the wolves in this drainage.  I hear there's some serious predation going on in the area between the two species.

We identify at least one set of large "dog" tracks about half way down the trail.  Quite obviously, they are wolf tracks,  bigger than you'd imagine, and fresh.  No snow in the tracks and they're real well defined.  Wolves for sure.  They're (wolves) relatively new to this area so this particular sighting is kind of cool.  The whole wolf issue is a hot potato and no sense going into that right now but I must say there is an added degree of excitement knowing they're around.  Wolves aren't yet dangerous, either, so as opposed to griz, we're not excited because we're in danger.  I've seen grizzlies up the rear end in this drainage and have always had to keep my shit wired tight.  But they're denned up and the country is safe!  And I kid you not.  I've seen four griz in a day here and many times at least one.  Autumn Creek during the warm season is prime grizzly habitat.

Years ago I did a special with ESPN and a show called Photo Safari and we spent an evening in Autumn Creek filming.  We got sheep, goats, and a huge herd of elk on film.  We were horseback and had two mule loads of camera gear with us.  It was a bit of a circle jerk but we got it done.  I still have that CD if any of you are interested.  And for the record, we've got Oliver Klink, one of the most widely known photographers in the world due out next May on a Photo Safari tour.  We'll be looking for griz, wolves, lynx, and wolverine in addition to other big and small game.  I think we'll get the griz, should get the wolves, may get a lynx, and the wolverine is problematic.  But don't bet against us!

Back to the ski!  Doc Mike and I continue on down the gradually steeper trail as Pat and Carlene head back to Marias Pass to get the truck  We've got a ways to go and as I'm already working steadily with a mild sweat on my back I begin to recognize the toughest part of the trip lies ahead.  The trail is hard packed now, more than a mild downhill ski, and tough to negotiate.  I find myself gaining speed too quickly and setting myself down on my rear end sometimes in a tangled condition.  After a half dozen wrecks I decide to take my skis off and walk out.  I've had enough punishment for the day.  But it's been worth it.

As Mike and I finally near our ending point on Hwy 2 I can sense the end of another grand day.  Although it's  
just 3:30 the sun is beginning to weaken and the sweat on the back of my neck is gone.  My wranglers are wet as are my gloves.  Enough is enough.  And I hear a vehicle on the road and a horn honking as well.  We're back.  And I'll be back as well.

1 comment:

  1. It's so nice to come home after a long day at work to the images that you've painted. It's yet another enticement to head north to see more of that most beautiful part of the country. You certainly have a way of filling in one's imagination with your words.

    ReplyDelete